July 21, 2008

The Barn Nightmare!





Well we decided to get a barn. It was a big expense so we looked around for the right person to build it. Let's just say we definitely picked the wrong one. We started with a barn without a roof. Then a storm came, now it wasn't those tornadic storms just a small Missouri storm. Our playhouse withstood the storm so you would think the Barn would. I don't think so. It fell over to about a 45 degree angle. I couldn't believe it. So, of course, I had to do my own investigating. I went out there with my neighbor to see what went wrong. Let me tell you Everything was wrong. The main beams that support the barn were dug only 18 inches in the ground with no cement. To let you in on what it should have been let me just say that 18 inches is not the same as 36 inches, which would have been the correct depth. All the wood was warped and I wasn't going to have it. They even made us pay extra to dig threw rock and do you think they dug through the rock. Ya I didn't think so either. So when we dug the hole to see how deep they were, I happen to notice the beam was sitting on top of the rock and not in the rock. Interesting! When they came back that Monday to finish the Barn they were in for a surprise and an angry lady. They said they could just straighten it out and make it work. Well since we paid for a new barn and not a refurbished Barn, they were real happy when we made them tear the whole thing down and start from scratch. Don't think that I wasn't out there on every hole measuring to see how deep it was. So through all the Blood, Sweat and tears on their part, we finally have an upright Barn. Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not recommend them to build your Barn.

2 comments:

Corene said...

I think that you should have left it like that. Some of the most famous buildings in the world are crooked or leaning (Pisa).You could have been the proud owners of "The Leaning Barn of Bolivar."

Melissa Bosen said...

Wow, Kerri! You're so brave! I hate confrontation...why can't people just do their jobs???